lundi 3 octobre 2016

I can't be trusted anymore...

So I have a story to tell...most of you know that I restored a 1965 Howard 17 footer for my wife about five seasons ago..bad ass little boat and it is so cool to drive and own. I get compliments on her all the time...it's been a pleasure to own..

Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_1904.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 13.6 KB  ID: 923857

Click image for larger version.  Name: howard 3.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 22.3 KB  ID: 923881

Click image for larger version.  Name: lindas boat.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 16.4 KB  ID: 923873

I have tried for years to go to the Howard Regatta and just have never made it...What a shock that would be to pull up in a 1965 hull..really anticipated that moment, just never happened.

I acquired the boat basically from the second owner..and he has been a friend for almost 40 years. He is the one who said it was a HOWARD...so never a question from me. Boat has no badges and of course no ID numbers anywhere on the hull...

So imagine my surprise as I'm driving down the Parker strip last Monday and my brother says to me..."man that boat looks like Linda's"...I look over and drive by...it looks like any other mid sixties flatty to me...but on the way back by..I pull in..get out of boat and walk up to the boat in the water...and yes it is a twin to my wife's beloved Howard...Guy walks down and I say "nice Howard" thinking this guy will think I'm the smartest SOB known to old flatty's...he looks at me and says "No, it's not a Howard"...and of course I now know that this guy is the dumbest SOB I have met lately... he say's "it's a 65 Byers"...now I just confirmed my last sentence..Dumb SOB...know's nothing. But being the guy I am...I will give him one more chance..."are you SURE on the make?" I question...his response to me.."My Dad bought it brand new and I have all the paper work"..."ya know they splashed lot's of boats back then"...this dumb SOB says to me..then I look at the boat closer...real close..left side tach horn on deck..check. Inside stringer steering...check..Nicson pulley's...check...seats...check..small block chevy power..check...and now my mind starts to reel...could this possibly be..Hell, my wife and I have Howard hats for Christ's sake...then my mind really starts to go and my knees get a little weak...I've never seen another Howard like our's...never...and I get around...Crap..

So I ask if I could send him some pics of our boat...he say's no..."I'm off the grid"...and quite frankly, he had no interest in my story anyway...cool guy...just not a bullshitter like your's truly..

We leave and I don't tell my wife about our conversation, I stew on the drive back and all I can think about is Bill Duke (retiredflatbottomracer) and talk to him about my predicament..after all we talk Howard all the time. So I go into bathroom to take care of business..and I get BD on the phone..tell him my story...and he says to me..in my best Oakie accent.."ya know Mike, I've never seen a Howard like your wife's boat"...shit, foiled again...

I get done with business and the text's start coming in...

Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3378.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 24.5 KB  ID: 923849

Shit man...that's the boat...Now what the Hell do I do..do I come clean? Do I have to pull my head out of the business end of my body and actually admit that I am not the God of all hull makes...Oh for God sake's where does this end...My reputation is in total disarray..shambles, broken..how many lives have I changed by giving wrong info.

So please...this is my coming out party...I have nothing left..I sold my guns last weekend for fear of suicide...my friends are calling me a Poser...it's not good. Can't even get into my psychiatrist on this short notice...I leave you with pics of the boat that changed our lives last week...

Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3398.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 19.3 KB  ID: 923825

Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3396.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 11.6 KB  ID: 923833
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3398.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 19.3 KB  ID: 923825   Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3396.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 11.6 KB  ID: 923833   Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_1293.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 11.2 KB  ID: 923841   Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_3378.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 24.5 KB  ID: 923849   Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_1904.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 13.6 KB  ID: 923857  

Click image for larger version.  Name: IMG_2150.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 22.9 KB  ID: 923865   Click image for larger version.  Name: lindas boat.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 16.4 KB  ID: 923873   Click image for larger version.  Name: howard 3.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 22.3 KB  ID: 923881  


I can't be trusted anymore...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire